The original two-story gable to street home, located on the mill pond, was built in 1860 for George Converse and his wife Amelia Billings. The home remained in his family for about 80 years.

After WW II, Robert Keeney Jr.( grandson of Lafayette Keeney, founder of Somersville Manufacturing Co., 1879) returned to Somersville and purchased the home. He and his wife, Jane Todhunter, enlarged the home to accommodate their 7 children.

As heir to Somersville Manufacturing, Mr. Keeney ran the textile mill which produced fine woolens like chinchilla, camel hair, cashmere and kersey cloth which were popular for making coats at the time. The Mill employed about 400 workers and continued to operate until 1969 when it closed due to environmental changes imposed by the state to protect the Scantic River.

In 1986, the home was purchased from the heirs of the Robert Keeney Jr. estate and turned into a Bed and Breakfast , which it remains today.

-Information courtesy of "Images of America," Somers Historical Society 2001